When a topic doesn't fit in one of the forums above, Leftovers is the place!

NHL IR Status Rules

Moderator: Hockey Moderators

no avatar
User

GreenFish

Rank

Midget Mentor

Midget Mentor

2 Aug 2005

NHL IR Status Rules

by GreenFish » Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:33 am

How does the IR (Injured Reserve) list work in the NHL? If a player is placed on IR, how long must they stay? Can somone be put on IR retroactively like the DL in baseball? I tried to find out more info on my own but I was unable to come up with anything on NHL.con or the web.

The reason I ask is that I have Ryan Smyth and of course there is no way in heck I am dropping him but since he is not on IR then I can't get a productive replacement while he is out.

I'm just curious how this whole IR business works. Thanks.
no avatar
User

mweir145

Rank

Head Coach

Head Coach

3 Mar 2005

2006 Fantasy Hockey Classic Champion

by mweir145 » Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:46 am

I'm not certain but I think they can be taken off of the IR at any time after one week, but the team also has to send someone down their affiliate to free up space once that happens.
no avatar
User

GreenFish

Rank

Midget Mentor

Midget Mentor

2 Aug 2005

by GreenFish » Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:50 am

:-? Hmm. It can't be that simple then why the heck wouldn't they IR Smyth? They know he is out at least another week.
no avatar
User

mweir145

Rank

Head Coach

Head Coach

3 Mar 2005

2006 Fantasy Hockey Classic Champion

by mweir145 » Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:56 am

NHL Rules wrote:A club may place a player on the Injured Reserve List if such player is injured, disabled or ill and unable to perform his duties as a hockey player after having passed the Club's initial physical examination in that season.
A player who has an injury that renders him physically unable to play for a minumum of seven days after that date of the injury can be placed on the Club's Injured Reserve List. Once a player is placed on the list, the Club may replace said player on its NHL roster with another player. All determinations that a player has suffered an injury warranting injured reserve status must be made by the Club's medical staff and in accordance with the Club's medical standards.
A player placed on Injured Reserve is ineligible to compete in NHL games for a period of not less than seven days.
Players on Injured Reserve may attend Club meetings and meals, travel with the Club and participate in practice sessions.

Yeah, so it's a week.
no avatar
User

Lofunzo

Rank

Hall of Fame Hero

Hall of Fame Hero

9 Jul 2003

Central Jersey

by Lofunzo » Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:04 am

And I think that the reason why some teams don't put players there all of the time is financial. They don't want to have to pay another player.
no avatar
User

ensanimal

Rank

15 Dec 2003

Clearing the front of the net

by ensanimal » Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:24 am

Lofunzo wrote:And I think that the reason why some teams don't put players there all of the time is financial. They don't want to have to pay another player.

I thought though that if it was for an injured player it won't count against the cap. Does anyone no for sure if this is true or not? Even on the radio show I listen to, they were discussing it, and couldn't come up with a concrete answer. :-?
no avatar
User

Lofunzo

Rank

Hall of Fame Hero

Hall of Fame Hero

9 Jul 2003

Central Jersey

by Lofunzo » Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:36 am

ensanimal wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:And I think that the reason why some teams don't put players there all of the time is financial. They don't want to have to pay another player.

I thought though that if it was for an injured player it won't count against the cap. Does anyone no for sure if this is true or not? Even on the radio show I listen to, they were discussing it, and couldn't come up with a concrete answer. :-?

I will try to find it out but there has to be a financial penalty or else they would just IR the player and bring someone else up. :-?
no avatar
User

GreenFish

Rank

Midget Mentor

Midget Mentor

2 Aug 2005

by GreenFish » Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:41 am

Thanks all. I was just curious. It has been driving me nuts with Smyth out and not being on the IR.
no avatar
User

2For Looking So Good

Rank

Bantam Bench Boss

Bantam Bench Boss

29 Sep 2005

by 2For Looking So Good » Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:49 am

Yup, salary cap restrictions. A player doesn't come off the cap limit unless he misses 10 games or 21 days. So Smyth should make that, but if the Oilers don't want to add another player to their cap limit no IR. See Philly, Turner Stevenson is out for 3-4 months but the Flyers can't afford to bring anyone up without making a trade. Thus no IR.
I live and breathe hockey. I bleed copper and blue, the Oilers are the only team for me. You got a question? Ask, I'll give you my opinion.

9 Years of Fantasy Hockey
21 on the ice